Arms are the go-to, simple mechanism for moving objects in FRC, yet despite being one of the simplest mechanisms out there, it’s sometimes hard to find everything you need to build an arm all in one place. Making an arm is easy, and we’ll show you how:
- Use aluminum tubing to make a frame
- Use bearing blocks, versablocks, or a hole in the tube to make a pivot point
- Run a live axle or dead axle shaft through your pivot point
- Put a versahub or a bearing block on the aluminum tube that will be your arm
- Add a sprocket to the arm to connect to your gearbox
- Add an optional friction brake to your arm rotational gearbox and you’ll be lifting in no time!